Some people say that motherhood mellows them out. The “partying out late at night”, “getting drunk” and indulging into other shenanigans gets replaced with filling milk bottles, cleaning nappies and trying to shush a crying baby, while trying to sleep. It’s funny how life changes in a matter of days.
While a crying baby is hard to handle, a five year old who runs away every time you set the table is even harder. As a working mom, the struggle is real. Recently, the USDA changed their food pyramid and introduced MyPlate. This plate says that every meal should include veggies, fruits, a grain and protein. There goes your hope of trying to feed your kid. The moment you put some veggies on their plate, you will hear only one word, “yuck”! So, if you don’t have time in your hectic schedule to whip up something fancy, go for these five easy crock pot meals that we assure you your kids will love:
Mac & Cheese
What is the one combination that kids love? Macaroni + Cheese. This recipe takes just one hour and doesn’t require you to check on it constantly.
- Cheddar cheese soup: 1 can
- Milk: 1 ½ cups
- Macaroni elbows: 8 oz (1/2 bag)
- Shredded cheddar cheese: 2 cups
- Sour cream: 1 ½ cups
- Boil macaroni for 3 minutes.
- Drain macaroni and add it to the crock pot along with cheddar cheese soup, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.
- Cook for 30 mins.
- Add milk and then cook for 30 mins more.
- Your crock pot mac and cheese is ready.
Here’s another gooey cheesy delight that your kids will gobble down in minutes and ask for more. This recipe makes 10 servings and takes about 4 hours to cook.
- Uncooked lasagna strips: 6
- Ground beef: 1 lb
- Diced white onion: 1 cup
- Pastas sauce: 1 jar
- Water: 1 cup
- Minced garlic: 1 teaspoon
- Ricotta cheese: 15 oz
- Mozzarella cheese: 2 cups
- Grated parmesan cheese: ¼ cup
- Egg: 1
- Fresh parsley: 2 tablespoons
- In a skillet, add onion and beef. Let it cook until the color turns brown. Add garlic for taste and let it simmer for one more minute.
- Add water and spaghetti sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Mix ricotta, 2 tablespoons parmesan, 1 ½ cups mozzarella, parsley and egg.
- Create layers with the lasagna strips by alternating between the cheese sauce and the spaghetti meat sauce.
- Let it cook for 4 hours. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan and mozzarella and let it melt. Serve after ten minutes.
3 Ingredient Meatballs
- Frozen meatballs: 2 lb
- Grape jam: 12 oz
- BBQ sauce: 12 oz
- Place the meatballs in the crock pot.
- Mix together BBQ sauce and grape jelly and pour it over the meatballs.
- Cook for 2 to 4 hours.
- Serve it with dinner rolls, rice or mashed potatoes.
- Beef chuck roast: 5 pounds
- Chopped potatoes: 1 cup
- Diced white onion: 1
- Sliced carrots: 4
- Frozen corn: 1 cup
- Sliced mushrooms: 8 ounces
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup: 1 can
- Onion soup mix: 1 packet
- Line the bottom of the crock pot with the roast.
- Add in mushrooms, frozen corn, carrots, potatoes and onions.
- Cover the vegetables with the condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix on top.
- Let it cook for 7 to 8 hours.
- Stir before serving.
Taco Chicken Bowls
- Chicken breasts: 1½ lbs
- Salsa: 16 oz jar
- Drained black beans: 15 oz can
- Frozen corn: ½ lb
- Chili powder: 1 Tbsp
- Cumin: ½ Tbsp
- Minced garlic: ½ Tbsp
- Dried oregano: ½ tsp
- Cayenne pepper: ¼ tsp
- Salt and pepper: ¼ tsp
- Dry ice: 2 cups
- Shredded cheddar: 8 oz
- Boiled rice: 1 dish
- Add everything in the crock pot with ¼ cup water except for cheese and rice.
- Cook for 8 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork in the pot
- Place some rice in a bowl, top it with the taco mix and sprinkle some cheese on the top.
Try these easy recipes at home without slaving hours near the stove. Just sit back and relax until those hours are up and it’s time to serve.