Have you noticed how much of your overall budget you spend on groceries? Grocery shopping is a significant expense for most families and households, but there are ways to make it more affordable. Whether you’re saving to buy a house, put the kids through College, or just want some extra spending money… Here are few tips to avoid extra expenses on groceries:
- Shop on a full stomach. You’ll buy less snacks and/or things you don’t usually buy – and only buy groceries, not gifts and all the extra stuff, at the grocery store.
- Shop without the kids. Kids are kids, they will want everything in the store – presents, toys and sugary junk food that costs an arm and a leg. So, if you can, try shopping without small children throwing extra things into your cart 😉
- Make a list beforehand and follow it strictly. Specially while shopping with kids.
- Plan out what you will be eating in the week and get things accordingly. You can plan the kids lunches ahead of time and prep dinners in the crock pot!
- Shop only once a week. You’ll tend to spend more if you stop at the store every day or several times a week.
- Shop when you have energy and aren’t worn out from a busy day. It’s easier to focus and make wise choices when you’ve got energy and aren’t preoccupied.
- Return your bottles and cans for the deposit that you paid. If you’ve got kids, get them to help with this job and let them keep the cash they earn.
- Shop in familiar stores when you’re tired, stressed or in a hurry. You’ll find what you need and be able to get out with what you need quickly.
- Plan meals so that you have leftovers for lunch the next day, or freeze leftovers for a quick meal another day.
- Package your own treats, juices and snacks. Buy the large package or snacks and a box of baggies and make your own individually wrapped packages to grab on the run.
These are few tips which can help you with your budget. You can always earn some extra money by playing bingo games for free and winning. So follow these tips and shop on a budget next time.