One of the best Christmas presents we received last year was our new ice cream maker. I loved the Yonanas machine, but also wanted a machine that could do dairy and dairy-free ice creams as well.
It’s incredibly easy to use and clean up after, and usually takes less than an hour to make delicious ice cream for the whole family.
I’ve made a few different types of ice creams mostly with fruit as well, but so far Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream has been my favorite one. This particular recipe is actually diary free, because we use coconut milk instead. I promise you, you can’t even taste the difference.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup spinach, raw
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 dark chocolate bar, chopped
- Place all the ingredients, except the chocolate, in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Keep in the fridge for an hour.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. Usually takes an hour.
- With five minutes left, add the chopped chocolate bar to the mixture.
- Serve immediately or store in a freezer safe container.
One of the key ingredients in this recipe is the spinach. That is what gives it its green color. Your first thought may be there’s no way I’m eating that with spinach in it. I promise you though, you can’t taste it at all!
What more perfect way to get veggies into your kids?
You can also use chocolate chips instead of chopping up a chocolate bar. For this batch, I used one of my favorite chocolate bars – dark chocolate with almonds and sea salt. D-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!
Recipe adapted from Paleo Indulgences