Did you know the way to distinguish the “Musts” from the “Should’s” for your child safety equipment?
Have you ever made your checklist?
Here are the particular baby-proofing items that should be at the must-have tippy top. I understand that we don’t all have hundreds of dollars in order to throw down the all-critical childproofing budget gap. To help the safety of the serious yet economically fainthearted, I’ve labeled them into the “musts”, meaning that you should not care where you buy them, but good parenting requires them.
For those who have more than one kid (or can be distracted), consider the more distractions you have at your residence, the more distracted you are, the more important your baby-proofing is.
Below (in order of importance) 9 baby proofing items you “must” have to maintain your baby safe:
1. A Good Gate: Even if you reside in a ranch-style home or an apartment with no stairways, there will be rooms or areas you’ll not want your baby wandering into, so a great gate is absolutely a must-have baby proofing purchase.
2. A Blind Winder: The number of toddlers strangled every year due to dangling blind and shade cords is devastating. In fact, the Consumer Product Safety Commission lists cords as one of the “hidden hazards” parent’s don’t think of. There are numerous cheap blind winders out there, but if you have to personally re-wind the cord immediately after every use, you won’t use it.
3. Anti-Tip Anchors: If you have a climber (or prospective climber) on your hands, home furniture straps are a must. Whether it’s a dresser or a bookshelf, attach these weighty pieces of furniture to the wall with anti-tip band in order to avoid the furniture from tipping over. 4° Fireplace Safety: Hard stone around the fireplace hearth can be very hazardous with little ones around. Its sharp edges and rough stone corners can cut, and also seriously hurt a tripping child. You have to choose one of the numerous good hearth bumper pads available in the marketplace.
5. Corner Edge Bumpers: You can cover the corners of the end-tables and coffee tables with corner and side guards. One-size-fits all because you minimize the foam to fit your particular table exactly.
6. Outlet Covers: For used outlets with cords, you can purchase a cover that will prevent your newborn from unplugging the cord and playing with the wall plug. They are best for high-traffic areas where you will be plugging and un-plugging items regularly.
7. Childproof Latches for Cabinets and Drawers: Drawer latches are also a necessity-have for childproofing your home. They’ll prevent your growing infant from hitting intact drawers with sharp or small items stored
inside. Ideal for your kitchen, bathroom, or home office. Choose childproof latches that won’t allow your little one to have even a hand inside.
8. Railing Net: Stair as well as railing nets are also a must if your railing spindles are generally further than 2.5 to 3 inches apart.
9. Bathtub Safety Items: Bath-time is always thrilling for a growing baby. Keep it secure by using a few of these little accessories.
- A bathtub thermometer to gauge water temperature.
- A bathtub safety rail to help your own little one get in and out from the tub safely.
- A faucet cover that will protect her little head from nasty bumps.
These are the most critical baby safety equipment items out there. Take into account them as an important investment you will make in the years of growth and exploration still ahead of you.
Do you use any of these in your home?
About the Author: B. Ryan is currently writing for the designer baby bags for mums weblog, her personal hobby blog focused on recommendations to help mothers to get info to become much more eco conscious and make their own eco-friendly baby diaper bags.