A month or so ago, while journaling my daily food and activity on the Mamavation forums, I noticed one of the other sistas had oatmeal cupcakes for a snack. Curious to know what exactly they were, she linked me a recipe for Oatmeal Cupcakes.
Of course I had to try them out for myself! So earlier this week, I made FIVE dozen Oatmeal Cupcakes. Hello. For a family of four though, it has lasted us about a week.
You can make plain ones, chocolate chip, raisin, nuts, or whatever you feel like! They are a MUCH better alternative to many of the baked goods out there and make the perfect breakfast on the go meal or snack.
My favorite are the mini chocolate chip with coconut ones!
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened organic applesauce
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax seed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups skim milk
- Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips, blueberries, coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and honey together in a bowl.
- Add in the oats, flax seed, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and mix well into the wet ingredients. Lastly, pour in the milk and combine. Let sit for about 5 minutes, to absorb the milk.
- Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
- Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups about 3/4 to the top.
- Add toppings right on top, or mix in your fruit into the batter.
- Bake approx. 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy!
These are great to freeze. We just stored ours in a plastic container through the week and heated up a little in the microwave.