A question caught my eye today on Facebook. Someone asked, “What has been the scariest moment for you as a parent.”
We have had our share of accidents in this house, but without hesitation, I knew exactly what that moment was.
Kendall was a little under a year old, and crawling all over the place. Just like most babies who are learning to crawl and walk, she was getting into any and everything.
Many times, I would ask Carleigh to make sure all her little toys were picked up, and anything else little on the floor, so Kendall wouldn’t get a hold of anything, since babies love to stick anything into their mouths.
Then, there was this one time.
Carleigh must have been going through my purse earlier that day, because apparently a penny was left on the floor.
In literally just a few seconds, my bright eyed energetic little girl started coughing and turning blue. I knew right away she was choking on something.
The sad part is that I froze.
I learned CPR years before, for my job, and yet I stood there scared and forgetting what to do.
Stupidly, I stuck my finger in her mouth to get it out. At that moment, I did not know it was a penny, just that something was causing her to choke. I’m pretty sure trying to get it out with my finger was not helping and actually ended up scratching her a little.
She continued to choke and all I could do was scream for my husband to come help.
I felt so helpless and scared. Praying that it would come out.
To this day, I thank God my husband was home, because he saved her life.
Every single day after that, I have made sure that anytime I see something little on the floor, it gets picked up and NO ONE is allowed to play with money in this house.